As part of the Construction Specialist High Skills Major, this program will provide a hands-on experience in a three-credit technology program. Students participating in the Renovation- Building My Community program will be part of a construction crew that will work on framing, wiring, plumbing, insulating, drywalling, trimming and painting.
HOMEBUILD - NEW CONSTRUCTION
As part of the Construction Specialist High Skills Major, this program will provide a hands-on experience in a three-credit technology program. Students in the Homebuild - New Construction program will build a house on a residential housing site in the community. They will have opportunities to work with other trades including electrical, plumbing, concrete and HVAC.
The M&T Graphics Factory specialized district program the only one of its kind in Ontario. A linked co-op program is available where students work form a location preparing real design and work for real customers. This provides students with exceptional learning opportunities that are not available in a traditional school setting.
TERRA: OUTDOOR ECOLOGICAL LEADERSHIP PROGRAM
Using the outdoors as its primary classroom, the Terra Program will facilitate students taking a Grade 10 academic program in experiencing four credits through the lens of outdoor education, character development, leadership, teambuilding, faith, and land stewardship. This specialized district program is a four-credit package – Theology (HRE 20E), Careers and Civics (CHV/GLC20E), Outdoor Activities (PAD 20E) and English (ENG 2DE).
Terra students will:
• engage in experiential learning in all subject disciplines, in a variety of different contexts
• plan, organize and facilitate activities for Grade 3 students at the Ignatius Jesuit Centre throughout the semester
• take full advantage of the location through gardening, prayer, food, reflection, camping, hiking, snowshoeing, canoeing and various other outdoor experiences that enhance awareness, team building and leadership
DUAL CREDIT PROGRAM
The Dual Credit program provides an opportunity for Grade 12 students to attend and experience college. Students will take courses in selected program areas.
A student taking a Dual Credit Program will be:
• provided with an opportunity to earn college credits while still in high school that will count on both the Secondary School and College transcript
• registered in a program offered in partnership with Conestoga College and the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities
• registered in a Pre-Apprenticeship, Level I Apprenticeship, College certificate or diploma program
• combining theoretical and hands-on practical learning
Please see you Guidance Counsellor for more information about any of the Specialized District Programs:
Bishop Macdonell Catholic Secondary School
St. James Catholic Secondary School
Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Secondary School
St. John Bosco Secondary School - A Catholic Learning Community